Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Money or Fulfilment

Spent practically the whole day doing Multiple Choice Questions to prepare for my GEM test tomorrow ... ack. 100 questions in 6+ hours ...

Anyways, i watched the 6pm show channel 8 just now. This bunch of guys actually won 8 million dollars from a toto draw. The next few scenes show them hopping mad around the house celebrating their luck.

Anyways ... it just makes me ponder.
What will you do if you're suddenlly bestowed with an immense amount of wealth enough to support you for a lifetime? You can have everything and anything you want, food, housing, cars etc etc. Basically, you won't ever have to worry about money making as long as you breathe.

Now the main question is, will you still choose to do what you're doing right now? To be more specific to us students, will you still see the need to mug your head off for exams and continue persueing your degree in University? Will the consideration for Honours or even Masters still be there? Will you still strive to get yourself that stable career? You've already got it made!! With that kind of windfall, you can bum around in your room for the rest of your life without a single worry. So ... what will you do?

Though not all, but i will believe that quite a number of us study and work for the sake of monetary benefits in the future ... like our parents used to tell us to study hard now so that we can earn more money in the future. Once the monetary consideration is dropped, is there still any value remaining in what we are pursuing right now? Really ... ponder on this topic. This is one of the subconscious equations in life, which led us on just becoz it's been the trend all these years. You study through childhood and work through adulthood just becoz it's what the society has been doing for generations. The point is ... do you see any real meaning or value in what you are doing right now?

I asked myself that question ... i kinda struggled mentally a little on the answer, but i guess I'd choose to carry on with my current progress. Money aside, it's important to have a sense of fulfilment in life I believe. I do not take up Engineering simply becoz of the promised monetary returns in the future, but simply coz I am interested in it. I want to learn about these techonologies which have enchanced our society... and I want to progress along with it. Given a choice, I'd rather be the person painstackingly making the progress than the one laying back to enjoy the fruits of the progress. Quoting Grace, money without fulfilment will leave our lives empty. I couldn't agree more ... So is there fulfilment from all that studying and mugging for a piece of paper we call the degree?

Which path will you choose? Drop me a Tag!! =)

Best Wishes to all my friends for their upcoming exams. Jia You !

sk