Sunday, October 09, 2005

My Cultural Definations

Xintian told me that my blog is good, and that I should make it a habit to update it more often. Im so honoured! Hahaha.

When i started out blogging, I decided to make my blog a journal for my own personal view points and emotions, rather than the usual daily log and schoolday whinings. Somehow I like it that way better, everyone's life routines in NUS are more or less the same these days. I prefer to probe the mind, and maybe redefine certain things in my own right. Heh, but coz of this I dun usually get much things to blog about. It really depends on when my inspirations come ... and even when they do, school work and tutorials come first.

**********
The progress of mankind has kinda set up a social culture that many of us readily take into our pace through life. Study thru childhood, work thru adulthood, and quite often seeing happiness in terms of monetary benefits and material gains. To many, money has become a god. Having a bigger car or a smaller MP3 player than your friends became a dominant way of achieveing happiness or satisfaction. I've read up a little on this issue, as well as talked to some friends about it. What is it with this society...

It is true that we cannot easily break free from this "standard" life cycle that we have subconsciously established. It really takes a nut to decide to quit his job and run naked down a field of lushful greenery just to savour the taste of freedom. Its not easy to simply quit the books now just because we want to live life our own absolute way, whatever that is. We'll probably end up nowhere in the future, and that really sounds unacceptable eh? Such is the curse of modern society. So ... am i contradicting myself with this?

Well ... this is my reply.... I do not mean that we all should disregard every traces of the modern society system. Hierachy, Progress, Politics, blah blah blah, all these sickening logics can stay as much as the people cries out for them. But instead of completely indulging yourself in this "default culture", why not keep an open mind and build yourself a unique sub-culture which is true and appreciated by yourself? There's no rule for us to completely adhere to what our ancestors have passed down, no?

I still read my lecture notes, I still mug for my tests, and I still hope to drive a bigger car.
But the difference is, I see much more in life than just all these. I pay attention to the people around me, I train myself to see not just the flower but to appreciate its scent and i learn to find the pleasure in making others smile. I don't become any richer from all these, but I'm certainly happier for some reason. In short, learn to love. I don't mean love in a guy girl relationship, but love in general. Even when u dislike someone, try to give them a wave instead of the finger. See the joy in giving things over the pleasure in receiving them. The world really looks so much brighter that way, and this will definately become a much better place to live in.

In a way, the blind often sees what many others can't. In my own words, they may be plagued with the curse of darkness, but they see more colours in life than us.

The best things in life are free.
Indeed, but how many of us really know what that means?

sk