Wednesday, September 21, 2005

All I ask for a Haven.


A comfortable chair, a good book, and a decent cup of coffee or tea.

That's all I ask to make my day. Ever since the new Spinelli outlet came to NUS in the University Hall, I've been patronizing it every now and then ... sometimes up to 3 times per week. Usually, Id order a simple coffee to lift my spirits, complemented with a hard piece of almond biscotti. I always choose the seats overlooking the glass panel over to those cosy sofas. There's nothing spectecular out there to be seen though ... but for some reason the simple scenery of the fountain injects me with ease. After settling down on my chair, Id just grab my book and read my heart out for the next few hours ... sipping my coffee and taking a bite out of my snack in between.

It really enlightens the soul ... to be away from the noisy routines of campus life once in a while. I guess this is not a really popular practice with most people though ... haha, many others around me are either discussing projects or doing tutorials. I guess Im different in some ways. There's no way one can completely eliminate the burdens and problems in your life without confronting them, but there are certainly ways to help people feel more receptive to them. This is one of my methods. All the time in the world, just to yourself and your soul within. These are the moments when you can finally think through your own life without the influence of other voices. In other words, personal reflections. One can sit through his session for hours without muttering a single word, yet learning so much more than can ever be taught from the books in a day. For a while, I am truely at peace with myself.

People often get caught up doing the things that they thought are important in life ... and after the endless routines are established, noone finds the reason to break out of them. Id really feel sad for anyone who continues his mindless cycles till the day of his passing. Us, for instance; We have spent a third of our lifetimes chasing after a piece of degree. Has anyone ever really slowed down and pondered .. "Is that all to life?" or "Is there anything else i can embark on?". Let's think about this ... will you rather chase after your own dream, your one true childhood career, or will you prefer to get entangled in the ancient strands of "destiny" set up by the cogs of progress in our mad society. My guess is, most of us will have probably chose the former when asked. As we all grow old, most of us will have probably diverted from that initial decision either consciously, or subconsciously... What's truely important to you? What do you cherish? What does your heart look out for in your future...?

Are you at peace with yourself?

We all need teachers in life. We all do ... someone to light our paths to keep us from straying from our dream.

Next time if you're looking for me during one of my free periods, you'll know where to find me.
Cheers =)

By the Way ... the book Im reading now is called "Tuesdays with Morrie", and I highly reccomend it.

sk