Thursday, August 18, 2005

Stiff Neck

Apparently my sleeping posture last night isn't the best that can be achieved. That explains why i am having a stiff neck today. Im undergoing a passive ache on the right side of my neck just behind my ear. Ack, it's horrible!! My neck won't allow me to turn my head more than a few degrees of angle towards the right. Whenever i tried to do that, it hurts!!! AHHHH!! It sux, yes it does ... It sux to the core, though it does not suck as much as CORS. Ok that's a lame one ... but you get the basic idea. Everyone definately went thru this condition before, at one time or another. You know how it feels, it doesn't feel good. It isn't even orgasmic. I've tried getting a friend to massage it non-stop for like 5min, and it just doesn't help. Perhaps a neck brace might work, relieve the aching a bit ... but I do not own a neck brace, and neither is it sold in NUS Co-Op bookstores. Im pretty sure NUH has some, but Im too lazy to walk or even drive there for it.

I believe I do not have to explain too much to everyone what a stiff neck condition is. From my experience, it will not go away until the end of the day when you tuck into bed. Somehow the neck unstiffens after a good nights sleep. How that happens remains one of the unsolved mysteries of the world. Don't listen to what the doctor say, they're usually too professional to even bother about mortal conditions such as a simple stiff neck. It's just there, and it won't go away until you sleep it at night. Cheerio.

Sometimes ... it's conditions like these that reminds us that we have been taking many things in life for granted. With this passive pain in my right neck, my ability to glance rightwards is impaired. I drove to school, and only in the midst of traffic did I realise that it's too painful for me to even check my blindspot. I mean, i still can find out what's on my right view, but I'll have to turn my entire body rightwards to achieve that. My mobility is affected, my flexibility and my freedom of motion. It truely sucked ... and i crave for it to go away. In other words, I hope I can get back to my normal mobility status again. Only when I have a function impaired, do I then realise the benefit of being normal. My neck wasn't like this before today, I can look around me freely without any pain limitation. However, in the past, I took this freedom for granted. It never crossed my mind at all before today, that one fine day my ability to look rightwards will be greatly imparied.

Perhaps its a human thing, that we only cherish and appreciate what we already have, when we lose it. When we are still enjoying its benefit, we simply take it for granted, and assumed blindly that it'll be there forever. That applies to everything and everyone. Come one day, the thingie is taken away from us, and only then will we realise how precious and important it is to us. For the first time in a long while, we will grieve for its loss, and then crave for its return. If it doesn't return, we'll perhaps be basked in eternal regret. BUT if it does return, the whole cycle usually repeats ... we thanked for its return ... remain grateful for a while ... and then forget about it altogether.

ah ... the mysteries and complications of the human mind.

sk