Monday, October 17, 2005

At Yer Service!!

Im in the mood for bitching about things again, and I've chosen our country's service sector as tonight's subject. Im gonna bitch about it just like our beloved PM Lee during his National Day Rally Speech.

*ahem*

Seriously, what do we think of service today? Is it essential at all?
I'm not referring to those kind of direct services that earns you cash in exchange for your politeness, tolerance etc for more than 5 mintues. For instance, beauty consultants, doctors, Geylang ayams ... These people spend a large part of their profession attending to individual customers for long sessions.Personalized services, yeah. Their goody manners come with their jobs, and they'd probably see an immediate decline of customers if they lack them.

What I'm talking about is ... the kind of jobs in which the people face each individual customer for only a short while ... like 2 minutes perhaps or less. They'd probably get away with it clean even if their attitude wasn't very nice to the people they serve. For instance, hawkers, cashiers, shopkeepers etc. Hmm .. I don't really know if there's a term to define these kinda service jobs... but you get the idea. =p

I went to the petrol station just now for gas. A pump attendant spotted my car and directed me with a wave towards one of the pumps. After i disengaged my engine and step out of my car, I saw the guy smiling at me, even lowering his head a little in welcome. He asked me what gas I'd like to use, and made a friendly wave towards the different petrols they offer. I felt good, a simple gesture such as this can really help to brighten up my day a little more. I went on to shop around in the Tiger Mart as the attendant pumped my gas. As i was making the payment, I noticed that the cashier was constantly smiling at me, and she began to introduce to me some new offers they're having. After our transaction, she thanked me in a friendly tone. When i left the petrol station, I was indeed feeling way better than when I just arrived.

That's the magic of good service. Sadly, not many people out there adhere to this ... since they wun really be making additional cash from smiling more or saying a simple "thank you". Sometimes in this darned society, anything that doesn't make extra cash isn't worth attempting. It won't make much of a difference to the NUS Biz Canteen Western Food uncle's wallet whether he treats each student with respect or not. Many of my friends have been insulted by him whenever they took up more than 10 seconds of his time in their purchase ... whether by asking for the price of a certain special food combi, or by not making their orders fast enuff whenever he gestured to them for orders ... yeah Im talking about his infamous "Next Please!" bit. Its rude ... though chances are people will still remain in his line for good western cuisine, this kinda treatment probably spoils your day and destroys a good mood.

This is far from an issue to do with monetary gains. Rather, it's got more to do with morals and the good willed nature of human beings. That's what many Singaporeans lack today I believe... Saying a simple "thank you" may not really make u any richer, but knowing that you made someone's day is really a gift worthy enough. You may not feel it as much as the customer, but it's really there, and YOU know it. It really makes a load of a difference whether you smile at your customer and thanking him while looking at him in the eye, or when you look away from the customer and bleaked a mono-tone "Tang Que!". Quoting myself from a previous post, "we should learn to treat others more seriously" ... this applies even when you face people for less than a minute.

What I believe ... or rather my idealogy, is that everyone around us should really be treated as a friend, until they appear hostile to you. In that sense, even a passing stranger on the road is more of a friend than an enemy to us. All these is based on the assumption of the good-natured personality of humans in general. Also, human are social creatures, and we tend to feel good if treated well, even from someone we met just 5 seconds ago. Ok, that's common sense, but how many of us really see the point in that? Why spoil a day when you can make it brighter instead?

Though there're many others like me whom preached good service, many desired it solely for improving the image of the organisation. It does help, but that definately isn't the main point of it all, no? This is a feeling which comes from the heart, a special kind of "professionalism" in service with no strings attached. We shouldn't do this just coz it'll leave a good image and impression of Singapore in the minds of tourists ... if that's really the sole purpose, then there's not much worth in that extra smile or handshake.

Treat others more seriously... learn to love.
=)

**********

Am i thinking too much? Is it this society or is it just me?
Hahaha, perhaps the night is getting to me. Gd Nitez!

sk