Monday, December 19, 2005

NVAC MINDS Camp 2005

I've just ended my 6 days camp ordeal today. 3 days for the Student Leaders' Camp, and another 3 days for a totally different kind of camp, the MINDS camp organized by NVAC. I got Nimales to recruit me as a volunteer assistant, in place for Gavin who was down with dengue fever. Basically, it was a camp to take care of intellectually disabled kids, and it indeed was an eye opener for me. Everyone knew what volunteering is about from the TV reports and books, but on the ground, everything was entirely different. I had some expectations before I arrive, and I was surpised to find things entirely different from what i has anticipated. Kinda a cultural shock for me on the first day, but i grew to love with what i had signed up for as the days passes.



On the first day, we played many games. We had 4 groups, Sun, Moon, Star and Cloud. You can see from the pic their mascots are so easily made ... very kiddish. So were the games planned out for them. Haha, I was really unused to all these especially since i went thru the Student Leaders Camp some days back. I later learn that it wasn't the programs that made the camp what it is, it's really the kids.





here's Frinzzi !!! The kid im taking care of with 2 other volunteers! Hahaha, he's so fat and bubbly! Quite naughty at times, and always got punished by Yingjun, his Volunteer. In fact I was rather stunned by how fierce some of the female volunteers can get when thier kids are naughty. The way they raise their voice and the stern look they gave. Im damn glad im not their target. Hahaha, usually the kids are made to stand facing the wall for a few minutes, and then after that they'll become slightly more obedient for a while.



We had games, music, sing-a-long sessions etc. Mainly interaction sessions to play with the kids. Here we are having a learning session to help the kids learn about some basic domestic skills, like cleaning the table, making their bed, tidying the room etc. It's back to basics for everyone, away from the complications of calling up sponsors and planning all programs to the finest details. Just plain childhood innocence with plenty of room for imagination and learning.





For Day2, we had an Xmas celebration in the school! MINDS Volunteers from all over Singapore came to Peicai Secondary with their trainees for Xmas games and a cool carnival! So many kiddy games going around, like this hammer game we see at the arcade! There's also a fishing game, some ball games ... so fun la.











No Xmas celebration is complete without a giant snowman and Santa Claus! hahaha, everything was so simply put together, but yet it was sooo heartwarming rallying the kids together for a good time. We had presents packed neatly under a cute tree for the kids to grab. Frinzzi got a big inflatable ball from Xiao Jing, which he burst an hour later when he threw the ball at the ceiling fan. At night, we had a good Xmas dinner with chocolate, mashed potato, ham and lots of turkey .... ummmmm I love TuRkies .... I also learn that turkies goes well with Cranberry Sauce.




Some people from NUS CAC (Cultural Activities Club) also came down to do some Christmas Carolling before we dine. It has been a good day!!






















For the last Day, we have a play put together for the trainees' parents. It entitled "The Treasure in the Sky". Once again, it was very simply put together. Frinzzi was given the role of the part of a Hawaiian surfer model. The Camp comm made him a yellow surf board out of carboard, and I taught him how to pose on the stage. His role was so cool la, his first pose was to lie down on the board and start paddling and swimming. Because he's so round, it looks damn cute and funny!!

And so ends the camp. I've seen alot, done a lot and learnt a alot. I've done things I never expected to be doing, like bathing the kids ... helping them brush teeth and dress etc. A 10 year old kid called Yew Joe woke up in the middle of the night and peed his pants. I had to bring him to the toilet to wash him up and wash his stained pants and underwear as well. At first, I admit I was a bit grossed out ... but I really grew to enjoy these small moments of innocence with them, even if it means I have to make a lot of trips to the toilet to help them bathe etc. It really becomes pleasurable and kinda cute at the same time. I truely enjoyed myself. Haha. Im going to miss Frinzzi, really. Nimales asked me to join the NVAC MINDS project at Guilemard, Im giving it serious consideration ... haha, maybe I can get to play around with Frinzzi's belly again.

It's my first time doing a volunteer work with Intellectually Disabled kids. I've learnt many new things ... but the most astonishing fact I've realized, is that many of the volunteers have committed themselves to their kids all the way from year 1 to year 4, and there are also many graduated students who chose to continue their service with their kids after so many years. I also got to know a guy who's still serving NS, but still volunteered to join NVAC in their selfless service. No one around here does this for CCA points or recognition ... it all comes from the heart, to help the unfortunate kids do what they cannot do for themselves. I was a little embraressed from my negligence all these years for not lending much of a hand.

If there's anything I've really realized from this NVAC MINDS project, is that we indeed do have Angels living among us, and it can even be you.




sk