Saturday, July 15, 2006

Food Talks

To all my dear friends whom have tried to ask me out for a meal recently, or are still eagerly waiting for me to recover so that we can have that pig-out session at that fancy restaurant.


Here's the bad news.


You've got a long time to wait, so I guess it's best that you guys carry on without me for a while. Much as I'd love to join y'all, the surgery really took a toll out of the nerve cells around and inside my mouth. I've come to realize that it's not just the tongue alone that gives food its taste, but the gums, the jaw ceiling, and all the other fleshy parts of the mouth do play an important role as well. Kinda sensible ain't it? Since it's a habit for all of us to tumble our mashed-up food around in our mouth before swallowing it, for chewing, slicing, etc. Chances are, your semi-digested food won't always stay on your tongue. It's the nerve sensations on these other parts of the mouth that makes us absorb our food's taste and texture. Without these sensations, we literally won't even know if there's a meatball stuck in the corner of your mouth. Also, you might not even have the motivation to chew, since you're not sure if there's actually food lingering between your teeth.

Yes, that's what I'm going through right now, out of the horse's mouth. Generally, nerve endings take a rather long time to recover, up to 6 months plus. Even if I can eat and chew, I don't really see the point in that if all my food taste like plain water. So ... do have a good dental plan going for yourself, keep your precious nerve cells healthy, or they might just stand up and leave one day.

**********

Right, that's all for Janus' Biological Specimen lessons. Here's some update on what's been going on for the past 2 days.

My sister is back in Singapore again ... for good! She finally graduated from Melbourne University after 4 years!!

Weeeee!

Finally I can have someone close by to bully whenever i feel bully-ish. We picked her up at Changi airport on Friday, and I guess that's the first time she's seen XiaoHui in person too. Haha, very soon I'll be sharing him with her.
(if that sounds er-xin to you, i suggest a good brain scrub)

So ... at night, i went to Sijia's house with Tongcai, Ben and Elsa for a gathering cum stayover. We had a lovely BBQ session, with me eating only super soft food like crab sticks and tons of heated marshmallow. We had a nice talk to keep ourselves updated with each other's life as well. It's been a while since I went for such a gathering, and I really haven't talked quite as much for a while due to my surgery. Chatting sessions feel good indeed, it lets you pour out all your comments and opinions about life to the people around you. And no, unlike PAP, you won't get hammered for what you say usually.


My family heirloom, the electric-powered BBQ pit. Thanks to my ingenious contribution, Elsa don't have to bring her pit all the way from Jurong, which she has stolen from East Coast Park.

Marshmallow Roast!









Glorious Food! Sad that I can't enjoy much of what we have prepared, except the sticky marshmallows. The taste kinda grows on you.









Chocolate Banana. Some weird looking concotion I'll never eat in a thousand years. Also got cheese prawn.










After we ate and talked, we went inside the house to play some silly party games which I've brought. I've also rented some nice movies from Video Ezy for everyone to watch. I think I'm the unappointed entertainment IC. Haha


Sijia's father's wonderful salt water fish tank. Very nicely lit and decorated. Got many of Finding Nemo's crew swimming around inside. You can see the clownfish and the dory fish. Also got many weird looking sea anemones which i resisted grabbing.


Clown Fish bathing among the sea anemomes. The sea anemome look like Abalone Mushroom.

So we played, ate, talked and slept until morning. =)

Memorable and fun outing. Hee

sk